Butter Lettuce was my inspiration to try and make an imitation of P.F. Chang’s lettuce wraps. It worked!
- in a medium bowl, combine 1 lb ground chicken with 1 tsp cornstarch, 2 tsp sherry, 1 tsp soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste - mix and let sit 15 minutes
- heat a wok over medium high heat, add cooking oil (I like to use peanut oil for stir frying) stir fry chicken mixtures for 4-5 minutes, then set aside
- add more oil to the wok if needed and stir fry 1 inch fresh ginger (minced) 2 garlic cloves (minced) and 2 chopped green onions for about 1 minute
- add 4-6 chopped mushrooms and 1 can of water chestnuts (drained and chopped) continue stir frying for 2 minutes
- return chicken to pan, add cooking sauce (recipe below) and cook until thickened and hot
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce (plum sauce also works)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp corn starch
We ate the wraps with a store bought sweet chili sauce, and yes, I know it kind of looks like cat barf on a lettuce leaf.